Well I have been home for a month now and I am well over due to write a final posting of sorts. If you don’t feel like reading fine, here’s the summary it’s always nice to see friends and family but life is a lot more fun in Italy.
I know Jessica thinks I’m full of crap when I say this, but returning to the
So instead of visiting my (well Michelangelo’s) David or walking around
I was very lucky, my old roommate from Mary Washington came up and stayed at the house for three days that first week I was home. Seeing Melissa was great, it was so nice to actually talk for the first time in months. Her visit delayed my I-miss-Italy depression a solid week. We went to Target and Old Navy and I bought random things I could actually afford and didn’t have to worry about converting the price in my head.
In the same vein my first two weeks back, I ate all the weird American foods I missed so dearly, even though they all seemed to make me feel a little queasy. I ate about a jar of kosher-dill pickles, three or four hot dogs, cheddar cheese, whoppie pies, and drank diet coke around the clock just because I could. I talked on my cell phone without trying to spit out everything I needed to say in under one minute to avoid an expensive phone bill.
By week three home my life was consumed by the anxiety of finding a summer job when our economy is down in the dumps. Another great “Welcome home Kari!” My days were spent essentially stalking Craigslist list for jobs—seriously, at least five times a day I scoped out “childcare,” “office/admin,” “part-time,” you name it, I searched it. I did get quite a few sub days at my mom’s school, each was its own fun/strange experience. I really loved being in first grade and kindergarten, and a few of the special needs kids really stole my heart. Tomorrow I will sub for the last time before summer vacation and next Monday I am starting my
I guess that’s what I’ve been up to, not too much. I’m glad to see old friends, but I miss my new ones. I miss dancing, the closest thing I’ve done to clubbing in boring-S-A (
Oh and men! I have been asked if I miss the Italian men and to be honest I kinda do, they are certainly not perfect or all that dreamy but they are quite good at shelling out those compliments. In
Sometimes when I think back to my experiences, it all seems like one big dream. Do I wish I was in
No comments:
Post a Comment